Sunday, September 2, 2012

Week 7, R&R

This past Monday I am still in hospital but the Dr in charge claims that if I go 24 hours without fever, he would release me.  So I rest with cool thoughts in the my head.  All the rest of my doctors also come and see me on Monday.  The radiologist has given me the rest of the week off from treatment to let my neck heal some.  he agrees that we can't keep pounding radiation at my neck, it'll never heal properly.
Cool, 4 more days off plus these guys don't work the weekends or holidays, that's like a week off.  My Hemo-Oncologist has also postponed Chemo for a week.  Whoo-hoo,  No treatments for a week.  Kim and I put together a plan.  We can go home, like get in the car and drive home, if all I have in 6 more days of treatments left.  We can fly back up and suffer in a hotel in Zion for a week.  All we have to do is get me released from the hospital.  Tuesday am, the Dr says I can be released today.  All I have to do is just finish down a couple of IV's.  Cool couple of hours and by mid day we're gone.
Surprise, one IV takes 1.5 hours, the other 6 to fully drip out.  6 hours- I complain.  Squeaky wheel does get something sometimes.  Dr cut's order in half, only 3 hours.  So we're out, not mid day but by 5pm.
Kim's made all the arrangements and is chomping at the bit all afternoon.  She pours me into the car and off she flys into Chicago rush hour traffic.  She's a trooper but is not a city girl any more.  By the time we get to Indiana, she is totally fried.  We get to Lafayette, Indiana, about 3.5 hours from the hospital and quits for the night.  Which is ok, she's toast, I'm toast, we changed time zones so it's 9:30pm.  Sleep for tomorrow is a very long day in the car to make it home.  But we do it, I drive a few hours here and there but by 8:30pm, we are pulling in the drive of our house.  It's been almost 2 months and it feels good.  So we get to rest the weekend at home.  Kim sleeps 12 hours day one, guess she needed the rest as well.  Daughter Erika comes home for the weekend.  Now that I'm home I don't want to go back.  But I only have 6-7 more days of treatments, then it's a 6 week rest and then another evaluation as to the status of cancer.  I may even go back to work, we'll see how the eating thing goes.  But for now, rest at home is well needed.  I need more mental then physical so I can get back up for this final week.
It will be difficult, like falling of a horse and getting back on, but I am sure it will be worth the effort.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you got to go home for a bit! Hug the fuzzies & enjoy being in your own space.

    ReplyDelete