Monday, August 27, 2012

Week 3, we have an enemy ammoung our midsts

Finally getting my wishes, treatment and a break the the higher temp.  The high temps were just adding to the stress, the treatments were going forward and that was good for stress release.  Kim even got an extra wish at the beginning of this week.  My head was starting to look like the baby doll that was loved for one too many years or another description was with the right dialog, you'd swear you saw me last week on "Dexter".  Either way, I went a hair studio and asked for a clipper cut with no guards.
Here's a before and after photo I made up in photoshop.  Ok, not too bad of a transition.
Especially once I get a little sun on the part that has never seen sun.  It's kind of working for me so I think I am going to keep it for a while to see what the winter brings!  I mention all these things because they were the highlight of the week.  The rest of the week was like taking a #2 pencil and jamming it in my ear.
The radiation was starting to do the nastier things I was told to expect.  My neck was now turning a beautiful sunset red and starting to itch like a bad sunburn.  Nurse Judy, the head radiation nurse recommended 2 treatments for this; one a man made lotion and the other Organic Pure Coconut Oil.
One smelled yucky, the other-coconut.  She said that there were a few more but be should wait to see how bad a get.  "Remember, it's only week 3!"
So as far as the treatments themselves, all went well accept Tomo.  The radiation, besides killing off taste buds and toasting the outside of my neck, was also starting to dry out my mouth and sores on the insides of my checks and on my tongue were developing.  Some were close to the areas around my teeth.  Some days, my tongue would even be swollen to add even more fun to the party in my mouth.
By Wednesday, somebody had been up all night but when I went in for my 9am treatment, the party was still going on.  I even felt like I had been to the party or lived below the party because I had had a terrible nights sleep.  So I go to put my tooth guards in.  They wouldn't so I wet them down worked them in right down on some sores.  So needless to say my  Twilight Zone Tomo Treatment came with a new ride enhancement that morning- pain.  I got finished and took my guards out my mouth was bleeding.  Guess I needed a solution before the next one in 6 hours.
Finished the morning rounds and Kim and I went to lunch.  What to eat, everything was tasting like Soilent Green.  Even certain types of bottled water tasted like garlic infused blah.  Picked up a few things that looked edible, sat down, choked down a few bites, and was unsatisfactorily finished.  Finished my afternoon on a happy note remembering that I had a prescription for a temporary mouth numbing solution with me.  So that was my new addition before Tomos, swish the pink stuff
10 minutes before Tomo.  Tomo just gets better and better, don't ya think?
By weekend end I just pretty much stopped eating unless Kim cooked it or made it for me. And because of that, took her out for dinner to a Sushi / Some Japanese / Mostly Korean hole in the wall.
What ever she ordered smelled fabulous and she ate until she could eat no more.  And she was happy!
I, on the other hand, not knowing what would taste good.  Wait, let me rephrase that. It should have just said what would have tasted, period!  So I tried safe things.
Miso soup, check.  California Roll, check. everything else so forgettable I forgot.
Miso soup taste bud translation=warm watery substance tasting like diluted motor oil.
Cally Roll = Cally roll, just worst cally roll I have ever put in my mouth.  Oh well this was about Kim, not me tonight.  So, we'll go back when my taste bud come home from vacation.
Rest of weekend got even worse for me.  Saturday night my throat got so sore, swallowing was not possible any more.  Had to force myself through the pain to get water down it live.  Sleeping was in 2 hours blocks so I could get up and spit out all the phlem that I had collected.  Started using the Pink Juice to numb out as much of my throat to get food and water down.  That worked for the weekend but was not going to work for possibly 5 more weeks.  We had to come up with a plan B for week 4.
DAMN YOU WEEK 3, I SHAKE MY FISTS AT YOU, I 'D STOMP ON YOUR HEAD IF YOU HAD ONE.  YOU HAVE REDUCED ME TO A 3 MONTH OLD BUT NOT AS CUTE.














1 comment:

  1. Don't know if it will help, but, what if I sent you some Miracle Berrys. They are supposed to make anything taste sweet.
    Chip

    ReplyDelete