Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Week 4, Where it all goes to hell

I'm in tough shape.  We have to make a big decision on what to do nutritionally.  I have got to get at least liquids in me but swallowing is not an option.  The pain associated with it is unbearable.  So Kim and I make the hard decision that I need to get a feeding tube inserted into my stomach.  So we go to the clinic first thing Monday morning and ask to see Nurse Judy or Dr Chang.  Judy was available.  I needed to take my vitals first thing, so I jump up on a scale and weigh in.  Wow, Since my Friday morning vitals check to Monday morning, I have lost nearly 8 lbs .  Clearly a weigh loss method, probably not one that any doctor would recommend.  Nurse Judy was totally on board the feeding tube request and went off to make arrangements while I went off to do treatments.  Tuesday 10am I got scheduled for feed tube surgery.  Good, only one more night of painful restless sleep then surgery.  Only thing I had going before surgery was the 8 hr fasting.  I had that covered.
I had really fought mentally to not go the feeding tube route.  I had heard and read that it was a bad
way for nourishment replacement, you miss out on important vitamins and other stuff only real food
supplies.  Well screw it, I can't swallow real food so now what.  Tube it is.  Fight over.

The tube procedure is pretty simple. They knock me out with drugs, and then with endoscopic tools insert the tube and stomach clamp or button down my throat.  Cut a small incision from the middle of my abdomen into my stomach, them pull the tube out so the button "seals" the whole up on the inside and there is basically a nut, as in bolt and nut, on the outside that tightens down the outside skin and seals up the hole on the outside.  I wake up and there's a tube hanging out of me.  Took like 15 minutes
while I was out, bada boom bada bing.  I was then sent to inpatient for overnight observation for any
kind of infection or complication and it is where I learn to "eat " with my tube.

Well isn't my luck that now I can get nutrients and I develop a fever.  It gets up to 102.6º before they give me Tylenol liquid (through the tube) to bring my temp down.  So now I can't leave the hospital until fever is gone for 24 hours.  It's now Wednesday, August 8. Still doing radiation treatments although they hold off on chemo for the week.  I get released Sunday afternoon.  Guess that's better than developing something else.  No fever, feel good, and getting nutrients. Also had a visit from pain management dept.  No one ever mentioned them to me before I was inpatient.  Now I got drugs for pain, good drugs, make pain go bye bye, make Jay always sleepy.  I may be able to finish this shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment